I was SHOCKED to see this on WSOC TV tonight.....
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/17824196/detail.html?taf=char
So it appears that the police have more issues with skaterboarders again? It appears that they have nothing better to do in the fine town of Mooresville that to harass 7-15 year olds trying to have a good time at the PUBLIC skatepark, enjoying a little bit of free time they have in DAYLIGHT after school lets out until 6:30 PM??? And that is now when the time changes...oh well..... You know...you've heard of this new skatepark in Mooresville? The new $500K park with no lights, no water, no bathroom facilities...You know the park that the police are now throwing the kids out of ????
Seems that there is an issue with a sign that has been posted at the park (which is within skateboard's throw distance of the police station) that helmets and pads must be worn at all times or the skater is in danger of receiving a citation....Seems that there is a problem with kids not wearing the helmets and pads and with trash and smoking.....HMMMMM.....Let's think about this.....
1. When traveling to the local baseball fields are the police there to throw out every player on the field without elbow and knee pads although the baseball maybe coming at these tender body parts at 50-60 MPH? Umm...I don't think so. You see, that's baseball....The 'American' game.
2. Are the police there to write citations to a group of guys playing a game of weekend football in a public park for not wearing full pads and helmets? Again, No I don't think so.......
3. Are the police there to write citations to adults and kids alike for leaving their trash behind at high school football games on Friday night? Middle school games? Downtown street festivals?
4. Are helmets and pads required in soccer.?...You know, I don't think I've ever seen any player wearing them, although they are kicking the @*&$ out of their competitors to recover that ball.
5. What about golfers? FORE!!! God forbid that golf ball comes barreling down on someone's head without helmet protection....Not to mention the beer drinking and cigar/cigarette smoking by adults on the city course with kids along side.
Town of Mooresville....get your act together....This is the biggest up and coming sport in the WORLD.....The police force is too busy taking $150-200 boards away from a 12 year old and not even being concerned with the crack heads that treat downtown Mooresville after Midnight like open season....They are robbing the stores BLIND!!!! Do the police care about that? Obviosuly not, the crime wave from this past summer has never been solved even with companies submitting video footage of the robbers, and eyewitness accounts...
The proposed name of the skatepark is COPS - City Owned Place to Skate...gimme a break....This park can be a DRAW to the local economy filling up hotels and restaurants..especially if PHASE II ever comes to fruition...It can be a destination spot for skaters from all over the Southeast..If you continue with this crap that was pulled on WSOC tonight you just wasted over a half million dollars of the tax payers money.
It should be THE PARENTS decsion whether their child/skater should wear pads...I can understand the helmet issue...but PLEASE don't have Captain Phil Blocker out on the public skatepark and stating that (in his words) "THIS IS MY HOUSE" ...Because he did...I was there. I wish I had a video of that...next time we will. This is not Mr. Blocker's house...this was built for the skateboarders by the Mooresville taxpayers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
I forgot to add these links...nice entertainment...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM8LZdDzs-8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYYpcCDSMz0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHsemRRvVrM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIJfeG11giw
Im sorry but your argument makes no sense at all. I work at a skatepark and I must say that it is extremely important for the kids to wear there pads. And for you to question that in comparison with Soccer, Baseball, Golf, and touch football is absurb. Rules are in place for a reason, SAFETY. Falling on concrete without pads is no fun. And for you to question that is ridiculous.
I agree fully. Quit being so ignorant jt41dmb. It should be our choice to wear pads or not. I was the one being interviewed on the news and I had many people agree with what I had to say. I'm getting tired of the police messing with us. They should be happy that we are off the streets of Mooresville and who cares who is smoking or not. If they're old enough then let them make their own decision. And for the littering I've seen people go by and pick up the trash and help keep the place clean to show that we appreciate the place.
Play FAIR said...
I have to agree with jt41dmb....
My opinion would be different if you were comparing apples to apples, BUT YOUR NOT
I have to ask in golf how many times does someone get hit? What are the statistics???? The statistics of a skateboarder falling down is high risk….happens a lot, so therefore not a valid comparison
Baseball (the protection is a glove and bat) that is why they have those pieces of equipment....you don't see people try to catch ground balls or pop flies with their bare hands and sure as heck don't see a player go to bat with their arm. Your point once again not valid
Football without pads is called Rugby…if you are stupid enough to play then that is your own fault
People playing soccer usually use shin guards…. (Protection) AGAIN YOUR POINT IS NOT VALID!!!!
Where is the apples to apples comparison???
The comment that you made "“Are the police there to write citations to adults and kids alike for leaving their trash behind at high school football games on Friday night? Middle school games? Downtown street festivals?” really gets me….because people should teach their kids how to you a garage can… HINT HINT, they are there for a reason. They don't put them out because they are pretty. And for adults….did you ever get yelled out by your parents for littering weren’t you taught better. Yes littering happens but "the skateboarders" should not be exempt (who put them in the special group should it be equal for all???) Litter has always been ticketed.
Furthermore….perhaps the police get a call but cannot make it to a store that is being robbed and a little old lady gets shot because the skateboards will not get out of the way. (See the problem…pretty plain to see)
Would the parent rather pay taxes to fund a skate park or pay taxes to put a fire out at their home or have an ambulance respond or police (priorities…obviously sk8r mom yours are mixed-up)
I cannot believe that as a mom you would risk your child's safety. The signs are up for protection. If there are mom's out there that don't take anymore interest in their kids then that then thank god for the signs at least someone is protecting your kid/s.
Good job Mooresville!
I can see a helmet. Or even a skate at your own risk sign but not full pads. The elbow pads won't stop you from breaking your arm. We ask skateboarders know there is a risk and need to make our own decision as if we want to be safe or not. Most of us know the right way to fall and keep us from getting hurt with the skill. If they did like a Helmet only for 16 years and up. I started wearing helmet but sometimes full pads can get in the way. I can accept a helmet but definitely not full pads.
Also full pads would just stop us from getting scraped up but you can easliy fall and get scraped in any sport and no one should get tickets for that. They should write citations for people being too dangerous on the sidewalk. You can't run because you could trip and scrape your arm. We know while we skate we're going to fall and there is a consequence. Helmets at skateparks are ok because of head damage is serious and that should be the only thing that matters.
I definitely understand a helmet, full pads are ridiculous and cumbersome outside of skating vert, where it really is necessary.
I shattered my arm at a skatepark while wearing full pads, the pads did not prevent that.
usually, if a skateboarder falls and gets seriously hurt, it is either a broken wrist or a broken ankle. Not a knee or elbow injury.
I think that inexperienced kids should wear fullpads because they havent learned how to fall properly, but not someone who's been skating for years and knows how to fall without getting hurt.
and playfair: have you ever played baseball? the protection is not a glove and a bat, the only sources of protection in baseball are a batting glove to help with the vibrations from hitting with an aluminum bat, and a cup.
I have been hurt several times while playing baseball (I played for around seven years). Teeth knocked out (even with a mouthpiece in), numerous black eyes, broken nose...
infielders don't wear facemasks, getting hit is just an acceptable risk to playing the game, just as falling should be with skateboarding.
and how did that park cost $500k???
some of that money had to have been wasted, there is no way $500k went in to building what should have been a $150k skatepark.
So know we have an expert at building parks, and an expert at child safety saying kids shouldnt wear pads.
So new skaters must wear full pads but not kids who have skated before? How is that going to work? You think the new kids would want to wear them if others dont? You cant make some and not all. Would never work. Pads are for safety and that is the truth
So now we have an expert at building parks, and an expert at child safety saying kids shouldnt wear pads.
So new skaters must wear full pads but not kids who have skated before? How is that going to work? You think the new kids would want to wear them if others dont? You cant make some and not all. Would never work. Pads are for safety and that is the truth
not an expert at building parks, I just have the common sense to see that a park that cost $500k SHOULD have been much bigger and better than my local skatepark, which was around $125k.
and, most of the time, kids know when they need to wear pads or not. If you are just starting out and you haven't really ever even been to a skatepark before, you know that you need pads because you know you are going to fall.
And having some wear pads and some not DOES WORK, I've rarely been to a skatepark where there wasn't a difference in pad requirements between pre-teens and adults.
Most skateparks actually don't require you to even wear a helmet if you are either over 18 and/or have a waiver signed saying that you understand the increased liability and take the risk anyway.
What you dont realize is it will vary from the provider. I private park can do what they want. But when a park is run by the city, county, town, or state they do not have the option to say they can divide up there pad policy by age.
Look, I really think that kids should wear pads, but it's their decision. They get to choose whether they want to get hurt or not. But getting a citation is truly total f*ck. If they get hurt, it's not the government's responsibility unless something went off with the construction or the equipment. People fall all the damn time, and it happens ALOT. Don't be surprised if someone falls. Help them up, be kind, but don't punish them for something that's not your responsibility. The park should have more space and more equipment to grind, flip, ride, etc. That's my opinion and obviously I think my opinion is right. Have fun!
Post a Comment